Medway Model Flying Club Forum For All Enthusiasts Home 

Due to spammers users can only register manually. email alistair.clinton@icloud.com with your full name to register for the forum. A user name and password will be emailed to you.

ED Racer
 Moderated by: Spe, colin, admin, AdeH
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 7 November 2011 03:13 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
BobH

Mana: 
Hi Phil

This is a picture of the engine we chatted about.

As you can see the poor thing has seen better days. I don't think I have ever run it in a plane, only on the bench. As I recall the thing was rather brutal to me when I ran it on the bench. It has got a serial number on the side WRJ521. There could have been a number between the 2 and the 1 but something has been rubbing on the engine here and it could have another number underneath the mark. I found this web site http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/ed_engines.html oddly they don't make any reference to engines starting with a "W" anyway perhaps you may know? The "R" is for racer and the "J" means it was made in November I think :(

I did manage to free all my engines :)
Dunking them in Hot water like you said did the trick.

All I really would like to do is try to clean them up a bit now. I've tried a bit of acetone to get rid of the cruddy castor oil but it dose not seem to shift much. I was tempted to take the dremmel to it with a soft wire brush but I'm not sure if thats a good idea.

Regards

Bob

Attachment: ED2.jpg (Downloaded 202 times)

Posted: 7 November 2011 03:14 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
BobH

Mana: 
picture 2

Attachment: ED1.jpg (Downloaded 204 times)

Posted: 7 November 2011 03:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Phil F
MMFC Committee Member

Mana: 
Hello Bob . Its a 2.46cc ED Racer Mk V . Made from 1963 onwards . Some of the last ones had plastic backplates so I suspect yours is nearer the 63 spec. A throttled carb was availble and can still be found on the BMFA site occasionally making it a useable classic. Dont use a wire brush as this will burnish the metal and damage the finish devaluing it . Soak over night in cellulose thinners and then clean with an old toothbrush ;or get some Betterware carbon remover (used to clean ovens and pans cost about a tenner but will clean lost of engines) apply a thick coat and leave for a couple of hours and brushto loosen with tooth brush thenrinse  off under a hot tap.It will bring it up like new . Dont use Mr Muscle or any of those cleaners as they are very caustic and will/can damage the ali. A good soak in some boiling water would also soften the laquer and some strong detergent may remove it . I would try the cellulose thinner method first as its always worked for me .I have also been told that a long soak in undilued anti freeze will soften and dissolve any congealed oil. Once cleaned give it a good run to remove all traces of water and oil up for storage. Any engines that are stuck solid can be freed up by soaking them in hot water until loose prior to stripping and cleaning or warmed with a hot air gun. If forced cold the conrod or crankshaft can be badly damaged. Good luck, speak soon

Phil

Current time is 06:26 pm

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1291 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.