Medway Model Flying Club Forum For All Enthusiasts Home 

Due to spammers users can only register manually. email alistair.clinton@icloud.com with your full name to register for the forum. A user name and password will be emailed to you.

Another Restoration
 Moderated by: Spe, colin, admin, AdeH
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11 January 2012 08:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
BobH

Mana: 
Having finished Wedgy I decided to have a go at another of my old planes in the loft. I think it was Mikes Premier Lion that got the blood flowing!.

I was going to build something completely new, after looking at the price of Balsa I decided on another Refurbishment.

Back in the 70's I use to get my RC magazines from the US and I was bitten by a cover picture of an Ohlsson pacemaker (see attached).

When originally built I put a PAW 19 RC in it, but it was always marginal on take off. Most of the time it had to be hand launched. Changing the engine would mean I would have to get a new spinner which I think I have now sourced from Traplet Publications, the Spinner Set for DH98 Mosquito.

Attachment: pacemaker (2).jpg (Downloaded 161 times)

Posted: 11 January 2012 08:06 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
BobH

Mana: 
I deliberated on the engine for ages and finally opted for the Enya 41-4C. Its more expensive than most but I always liked Enya's when I was flying a few years back.

Attachment: enya.jpg (Downloaded 151 times)

Posted: 11 January 2012 08:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
BobH

Mana: 
The fuselage was looking pretty grim the Nylon and dope covering was looking pretty sorry for itself, the tail plane had some bad cracks in places. I bought some 1/4" carbon fibre strips and this really has strengthened the whole tail up.

The wing looks in remarkably good shape just some tip damage, but will need to be recovered the same as the fuselage. I was thinking of using Solartex but I'm not sure if you can add colour to this like litespan?

Any advice on modern coverings would be most welcome as I'm prolly out of touch these days.

Regards

Bob

Attachment: pacemaker.jpg (Downloaded 150 times)

Posted: 11 January 2012 08:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
martinw

Mana: 
Hi Bob
Solartex is a smashing covering to work with and gives a good finish especially to early scale models and vintage planes. The down side is the weight it adds, but that Enya should have plenty of power. It's fuel proof and can easily be painted.

Posted: 12 January 2012 03:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Phil F
MMFC Committee Member

Mana: 
Hello Bob . The Enya's are excellent engines .As you say a bit more expensive and heavier than some but last forever. used mainly ,I think by scale modellers similar to laser's . Only practical down side is that if they still have the glowplug at the front you will have to fit a remote glow lead as the prop spins dangerously close :shock:. Good underated engines.

Solartex can be easily painted .It doesn't take self adhesive trim as well as fiilm as it has a textured finish . Avoid dark colours as they can still slacken in hot sunshine.Some builders give the finished model a coat of dope as the y reckon it stops this but I dont think it does , it just ads weight and the dope discolours with age.

One thing to consider during refurbishing is the spar strenght in the wings . dont forget that free flight model will float with the air currents and have virtually no payload  but with radio assist or control you may wish to manouver the model and put a lot of strain on the wings . The added weight of battery and four stroke engine also add up quickly .Think about adding carbon tows to the spars or changing the spars to spruce .A lot stonger for very little added weight. Worth considering as wings have been known to fold:(

Posted: 12 January 2012 05:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
BobH

Mana: 
Thanks for that.

You know It completely passed me by the position of the glow plug :(

That explains why they included the plug extension lead with the engine.

I have been using carbon fibre on the tail to strengthen it up and I will be doing the same to the wing. Although I have always put ply wood dihedral braces in my planes and used epoxy to join them.

Posted: 12 January 2012 11:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
BobH

Mana: 
Well that's a result! After taking the nylon off the wing. I found I built it with 2 spars 1" x 1/4" and 3/4" x 1/4" spruce and 3/32" balsa wing ribs. I completely forgot about that, but after something like 25 years that's to be expected I suppose.

Current time is 06:23 pm

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1374 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 27 queries executed.