Medway Model Flying Club Forum For All Enthusiasts Home 

Due to spammers users can only register manually. email alistair.clinton@icloud.com with your full name to register for the forum. A user name and password will be emailed to you.

size does matter...or does it
 Moderated by: colin, admin, AdeH
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10 April 2010 12:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
AdeH
MMFC Committee Member

Mana: 
I seem to see it a lot where people tell the new heli pilots to go big. "Bigger is better and more stable" is a common phrase. Well lets think about this for a second. There are those who are basically telling new people with none or little experience to go buy the biggest flying guillotine you can get?

Would you tell someone who has never ridden before go buy a GSXR1000 sport bike? (I had to look on the internet to find that one!)  I sure hope not!.

I see the biggest problems with new guys, and I did the same thing, as; trying to fly in the wrong places, starting without adequate knowledge, flying alone, and as a result flying with a poorly set up heli.

If those problems are "a given" as in its going to keep happening, the smaller helis are best to start on. If those common problems can be overcome; flying at a field, good basic understanding of the machine, starting out with experienced help and flying a properly set up heli, then I say a little bigger would be more beneficial as flying a little £59. Coax electric thing in your lounge IS NOT the same as flying a 30/50 (or even 60) sized i.c in say our wonderful field!!

I know that any heli can do harm. Finding experienced people who is willing to mentor is a daunting task. I know people now who are experienced, but have yet to find one to go fly with and help me expand. So where does that leave the majority of us who want to learn?

Do we just hang out and not fly because we can't find people to mentor us? Let's think about what I have said, a person is most likely to learn to fly on his own. Would you want to see them trying to fly a big heli? I sure wouldn't because that was me last year. I have seen  someone smack themselves once in the leg trying to learn to hover. Since it was a 300 size heli(CP Pro 2), smacking his leg did no damage other than an ouch (and a small bruise). Other than safety, cost comes into play. I see on Ebay a lot where someone buys one and after a few flights, doesn't like it anymore.

I think this is a question of assessing risk. It is likely that being hit by a smaller machine will cause less damage than being hit by a bigger machine. It does not eliminate risk it reduces it

Would you want to be hit by an electric 450 Trex or my 23cc petrol Lynx???

Fortunately the wallet normally prevails. The wallet normally dictates smaller for novices. I would also make a ridiculous generalization that those novices that go out and buy a large heli to learn on fall under the "more money than sense" category.

Get help, seek advice, enjoy it , but above all fly safely and within your limits!

It’s some thought provoking ideas Gents!

Last edited on 10 April 2010 12:41 pm by AdeH

Anyone can land, then stop. It takes someone special to stop, then land

Current time is 06:29 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1249 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.