Medway Model Flying Club Forum For All Enthusiasts Home 

Due to spammers users can only register manually. email alistair.clinton@icloud.com with your full name to register for the forum. A user name and password will be emailed to you.

Surface Detail
 Moderated by: colin, admin, AdeH
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 27 July 2011 12:51 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
NevLegg

Mana: 
This might be of use to some of you, those that want to add a bit of surface detail? This is my effort to simulate rib stitching on fabric covered surfaces.
A simple frame of strong scrap wood about 1'' or 3/4'' square, I use some rock hard balsa. It needs to be wider than the chord of your wing, mine was about 13"x11". It was covered in heavy weight tissue, and doped till it was drum tight, I used some old dope, un-thinned (it bent the balsa on one side!)
As you can see from the photos, I marked 1/4" down two opposite sides, then pushed pins in (sore fingers at the end:X) Then ran cotton thread to and fro the pins, they were then doped down and let to dry. The tissue was then cut from the frame and sliced into strips, as you can see from the pics.
The strips where then stuck on the rudder and fin with thin dope. The pinked rib tapes are from Mick Reeves, they are ironed over the simulated stitching and bob's your uncle:D Just several hundred strips to go! Hope the pics help.
Once given a coat of thin dope, and painted (silver dope in this case) should look ok.

Cheers

Last edited on 27 July 2011 11:25 am by

Posted: 27 July 2011 04:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Phil F
MMFC Committee Member

Mana: 
Thats a good effect Nev . Mass production of stitches , the only way :)

Posted: 27 July 2011 09:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
NevLegg

Mana: 
It was very quick to make, including making the frame, covering in tissue and stringing it all up, took about 2 hours, that's not including dope drying time.
The only thing I forgot to mention, is that the grain of the tissue must run in the opposite direction to the strings.
I have enough to do the whole model, as they're only about 3/32" wide!

Cheers

Posted: 27 July 2011 10:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
martinw
MMFC Committee Member

Mana: 
Ingenious :)

By the way, what a tidy worksop you have - boom boom :D

Posted: 28 July 2011 12:22 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
NevLegg

Mana: 
That's just my photographic studio:D Kitchen work surface with a sheet of AO paper for backing:P

Cheers

Current time is 04:49 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1345 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 30 queries executed.