Medway Model Flying Club Forum For All Enthusiasts Home 

Due to spammers users can only register manually. email alistair.clinton@icloud.com with your full name to register for the forum. A user name and password will be emailed to you.

Moderated by: colin, admin, AdeH  
AuthorPost
PeterDavey

Mana: 
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I have a little dilemma. I am in the middle of building an Ugly Stik and have decided to add a wing bandage for a little more strength. I used a Deluxe Materials Wing joining kit purchased through Amazon (I needed next day delivery and had access to prime). I put the bandage on and applied the resin as per the instructions about 24hours ago. The resin is still tacky in most places and transfers to fingers in others. The ratios can’t be wrong as the entire contents of both pots were added and stirred thoroughly. What’s left in the pot is still runny in places and cured in others. The problem is I think it’s to far gone to remove without severe balsa damage. The temperature is well up so can’t be that causing the issue. Does anyone have any advice or hacks to save the wing? Perhaps applying some heat to help the cure? Have I missed something obvious or do I have out of date epoxy?

MikeY

Mana: 
Hi Peter,
Apart from waiting a few more days you might like to watch this video :-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dwZbltWIRo

Mike

PeterDavey

Mana: 
Thanks for the reply Mike, I have left the wing in the loft room for the last few days which is unbearably warm at the moment and it does seem to be curing, just incredibly slowly! so just a question of patience on this one i guess >:o 

MikeY

Mana: 
Hi Peter,

Glad it's curing, strange duluxe materials are usually very good, maybe some old shop stock? as you said above.

Mike

Phil F
MMFC Committee Member

Mana: 
Yes very strange foe DeLuxe . Usually set within a few hours. As mike says it might be old stock?

I have in the past used 30 min epoxy thinned with some meths/methanol  if there is any foam nearby or cellulose thinners  if its being used on wood .
Be careful not to add to much thinners or meths 

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1302 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.